Tuesday 15 January 2019

Let's Play Rimworld Part 7 - Food for Thought


"It's a strange thing to be constantly teetering on the edge of disaster, much like walking a tight-rope. The slightest mishap or unexpected nudge could plunge our fledgling colony into the abyss at any moment. Yet we struggle on, living in hope as the alternative is to surrender to despair. That will not be us. We will survive."

Day 19


Nicole is still wandering around in a daze in the cold as the rest of the colony sleeps, if she comes to her senses she is likely going to be out of action for at least a day. So I think once the hydroponic greenhouse is built I am going to actually build a separate medical area, I have a feeling it may be needed during the winter to treat frostbite.

Syd is the first one out of the starting blocks for the day and she continues building the greenhouse, this building will likely be the one that ensures whether this colony lives or dies through the winter. I desperately need at least one good harvest from the main farms to give me a reserve of food soon as the temperatures are already getting low meaning the crops are growing more slowly as it is. Angel hunts down berries to cook a few more meals, this is getting tense already. Ash proves her worth by further supplementing our dwindling food supplies by harvesting more berries.

However there is a huge problem right now, the plants aren't growing, its -2C which is not good so time to test something for science. I am going to build a series of campfires near the crops hopefully enough to keep them growing. Whilst it does get warmer closer to lunch-time I am not going to take chances at this stage.

By the end of the day Nicole finally recovers from her daze and promptly devours a simple meal before collapsing into bed. At least she didn't collapse in the middle of no-where and starve though I think starving is going to become a common theme soon.

The greenhouse is taking shape at least that's something!


Day 20


Whilst a Ash hauls back more berries from the wilderness and Angel vomits in the cold-storage due to food poisoning things are still not looking great so far. A lot of maintenance tasks are being overlooked for more critical things, both wood generators are out of fuel, the crops only seem to grow for a few hours a day at reduced speed, this is getting dicey.

Then just as the day dawns and everyone except Nicole clambers out of bed some cargo pods land containing Pemmican. Now pemmican is most importantly food, it's a long-lasting if bland food item you can create when you want to send your colonists travelling however beggars can't be choosers and this may have just saved my colony for a while longer, maybe even long enough to get the greenhouse up and running.

A caravan arrives mid-morning, a combat supplier so I opt to spend some of my silver ensuring Ash has a rifle to hunt with and to get some more medicine whilst I can afford it. Sadly no food on offer but small victories at this stage will help.

The meals are almost spent so I prioritise Ash to start hauling that Pemmican to the stockpile whilst Syd finishes off the main structure of the greenhouse as well it's batteries and solar panels. It's going to be touch and go whether I get crops up soon enough or not.

Gifts from above, in the form of Pemmican. A bland travelling ration designed to not spoil. Better than nothing.

Day 21


Most of the crops died during the night due to the dropping temperature.. Well.. Damn. That's a snag but at this stage I am getting used to it, so I set Angel and Ash some hunting targets whilst Syd gets mining in the morning in order to get enough steel to construct the hydroponic basins. Also for the sake of being sure I set another two solar panels to be built so the sunlamp in the greenhouse can hopefully run all day.

To say this is one of the craziest runs of Rimworld I have played in terms of random events screwing me over would be an understatement. That drop of pemmican may only last a few days at best meaning I am going to have to set Angel to maximum priority hunting to stock us up on meat and hopefully get enough to get the greenhouse through a few harvests.

Other than that not much happened as Angel hurried back and forth cooking the handfuls of berries still scattered about whilst Ash proved she needs to seriously work on her shooting skill. I also decide to drop research priority for now and have Nicole start hauling and cleaning up so I know just how much food I can scrounge from the map.

Another herd of deer seems to have wandered onto the map as well so sadly for them they are now firmly on my hungry colonists menu. I also need to mind a whole pile of steel and components in order to finish the greenhouse properly, let's hope nothing else goes wrong.

Hope you all enjoyed this part of the Rimworld written let's play, when I first started this I expected a fairly run of the mill Rimworld run.. Boy was I wrong!

Food storage expanded, greenhouse well on the way to being operational.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...