Wednesday 12 December 2018

Let's Play: Rimworld Part 3 - Things Were Going Too Well..



"Had they once been like us? Victims of circumstance simply trying to survive as we were? All we knew for certain was this small patch of forest we now called home was no-where near as safe as we had hoped. We would have to be ready to defend ourselves from more than just the flora and fauna."


Day 7


With most of the basics now in place it's time to start considering what to do next. I am definitely going to need batteries researched before winter as well as heating, lighting and some defences. I am also genuinely leaning toward planting a fourth field and laying down some sandbags in case of another pirate raid or worse.

The day starts with Angel feeding our prisoner Ash whom I have decided to try and recruit given her skills with growing and animals it could really help build up a food stockpile and free Angel up to do some hunting. For now I set up three small 2 by 9 fields for growing some more advanced things like healroot and cotton plants warm clothes are going to also be something I need to consider sooner rather than later.

Nicole attempts to convince Ash to join us whilst also researching, if I can get batteries I can look toward either researching weapons of some kind or perhaps look into alternatives for power generation but we'll get to that later. For now I set Syd off to build some sandbags to the north and south to give my shooters some cover from approaching enemies.

Food is starting to get low now and our starting resources are largely spent so at the end of day seven I designate a wide area of berry bushes to be harvested, steel and compacted machinery to be mined and trees to be chopped.

It really is starting to take shape, it's going well!

Day 8


Well I had a feeling this was going a bit too well now a cold snap hits, meaning it may well kill off my growing crops which puts even more pressure on my low food stores. Not to mention making every single one of my colonists complain about having to wander about in sub zero temperatures!

This could sow the seeds of ending this run earlier than I would like by far if my crops start dying off it's unlikely I'll get enough food stockpiled to survive the winter. There isn't a great abundance of berry bushes so I am going to have to be a bit risky with Angel for now hunting some of the dear herd roaming to the north of me, squirrel and rabbit meat alone won't come in enough quantity to help with my ailing food supplies. There is also another herd to my south and even a muffalo herd to my east but I'd rather wait and see if I can preserve them for the milk and wool later on.

If Nicole can convince Ash to join us sooner rather than later her growing skills may just arrive soon enough to avert at least this minor disaster. Welcome to Rimworld indeed, when the AI story-teller just suddenly decides things are going far too well for you!

This deer herd is now on the menu.


Day 9


With a worrying chunk of my crops dying overnight Angel starts off day nine with some hunting I also decide that rather than researching weapons next I may make a beeline for hydroponics. Also with some visitors arriving I am thinking I try and trade some of my starting silver for any food or meals they may have, every piece of food is crucial now.

It's so cold that I have had to build a campfire in my main building just to give my colonists somewhere to warm up, hypothermia is now becoming an issue, with all my colonists getting frostbite I am not even sure how much further this run can go if things continue on this downward spiral.

At least I managed to get three batteries up and running to store excess power a small victory. I am now definitely going to have the next research be hydroponics and then try and set-up a greenhouse of some kind, it may be the only way my colonists have a chance of surviving the winter at this point.

Just when I thought I was perhaps getting ahead of the curve, it starts to snow two seasons early and kills off the rest of my crops. Hunting is going to be the only way I can survive for now so first things first, I need to chop more wood and strategically place campfire so my colonists don't have to travel far to warm up.

Also I am going to need a tailors bench and put some of the leather I have been gathering to use making some poncho's to help keep people warm. I think my biggest hope right now is that the cold snap ends soon enough that I can replant the fields and get at least one decent harvest before winter properly hits, if I can't manage that, well, we'll just have to see what happens in the next part!

For now though I hope you are still enjoying this written let's play, watch this space for the next part soon!

Driving snow, low food, dying crops.. Welcome to Rimworld!


If you missed Part 2, Click Here!

3 comments:

  1. Love your written lets play foxy! Winters are indeed harsh for crops, you could always research indoor equipment for growing crops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it's gonna be the next thing I do, it's not even winter though, it's just a cold snap that randomly happened :D Thanks for the comments Kitty!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...