Thursday 31 January 2019

Let's play Rimworld: Part 12 - The End.


"Whilst we have been attacked directly at times, pirates, angry tribes and rabid animals.. They are the least of our foes. The constant threat of starvation looms over us and the icy winter prove to be far deadlier adversaries. We won't give up though."

Day 34


Sappy is the only one still awake right now, to her credit she is making sure the wood burning generators are fully fuelled. For my part I am pondering what my next research project should be, brewing seems a bit premature given the lack of success with farming. Tree sowing could be useful to ensure we always have wood which would be a good prerequisite for chemfuel production. So as a little bit of optimistic future proofing I opt for tree sowing as my next project.

A quick glance at Sappy's needs shows me she is recreation deprived so rather than relying on the single horseshoes pin outside I set a chess table to be built in the main colony room. A poker or billiards table would need cloth which I don't have but spring should take care of that (I hope.)

Angel as ever is the first to rise and after breakfast she tends to Sappy's frostbite, I almost wish I'd built an electric tailors bench to get warm clothes made faster. However, I feel it's a bit risky to put too much pressure on the power just in case the greenhouse has a brownout. Everyone at least gets a meal and there's enough meat in storage to cook a few more, the good news is the potatoes are almost grown. There are also two deer in the body stockpile to be butchered so I would cautiously call the food situation stable for now. However I realise something is amiss when for hours no-one goes to butcher them.

A brief check shows the toxic build-up from the fallout still raining on us from that chemical fire means they are rotting and inedible.. Well.. Crap. On the plus side Ash finishes making the first duster, clothing is going to be a goal for the spring I think alongside a large cornfield.

Some of the potatoes and even some of the rice finishes growing much to my relief after finding out that meat is off the menu for now. The harvest is fairly impressive and for the first time really since starting this colony the food stockpile is actually growing and the number of meals we have is stable! Largely due to everything including the potatoes finishing growing at the same time ensures the rest of the day sees the colonists harvesting, replanting and hauling the produce to cold-storage. I just hope this toxic fallout stops soon or people will be getting sick.

Finally some actual food being stockpiled, or at least soon to be!


Day 35


Disaster struck in the night again, a faulty power conduit shorted out setting fire to the greenhouse and also depleting all the batteries of charge.. Oh boy. The greenhouse fire is out of control..

Oh no, colonists collapse due to the superheated air burning them and every attempt to rescue them puts the rescuer out of action.. I think this is it folks.. The end of the colony..

The greenhouse had long been the only thing keeping the colony alive in the end however it killed the entire colony. All five colonists died in the fire turning the greenhouse into a tomb, as they had moved in to douse the flames the fire spread to cover both doors ensuring no-one could escape and those that tried just died collapsed in agony as well.

Well, I didn't expect that.. That electrical fault basically immolated the greenhouse in quick time and I almost feel I should have just let it burn. I am not sure if it's still a thing but stone flooring may have stopped it spreading but if the greenhouse had been destroyed they'd have died anyway but it spread faster than the colonists could deal with.

I do hope you enjoyed this written let's play, it's my first attempt and it won't be my last, stay tuned for more in the future! Whether it's Rimworld or another game well, that may well be up to you! Stay awesome people!

The fire that killed an entire colony, I drafted Nicole to try to get her out of the door but the fire spread before she reached it causing her to likewise perish.


Epilogue


It was some time later that the remains of the colony was found after the winter had passed and travel become possible a group of traders who had once sold medical supplies to the Fox Republic decided to stop by again.

There was an eerie feeling as they approached but it was still early in the morning so the lack of people outside wasn't initially unusual. Generators sat idle, empty, the main building was likewise deserted causing the traders to realise something was indeed amiss.

As they pushed open the doors to the greenhouse however they discovered the fate of the colony. Hydroponic basins lay in blackened heat-warped chunks, every surface from the walls to the ceiling was scorched black. In the center lay the charred remains of the colony, huddled together in their final moments before the flames had engulfed them.

Opting to do the decent thing the traders buried the colonists remains and moved on, wondering what terrible event must've transpired to cause such a horrific fire in such a small space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...