Thursday 10 January 2019

Let's Play: Rimworld Part 6 - Silver Linings Have Clouds



"When even the smallest of scratches can fell the strongest of us it puts things into perspective. We were not the masters of this world and we would have to fight to survive it in every sense of the word."

Day 16


Well the last part ended on quite the cliffhanger with Nicole having to rush out in the middle of the night to carry Angel back to base. She spends the night recovering whilst Syd patched up some of her infected wounds, hopefully she'll recover given she is the strongest character we have in our intrepid crew. On the plus side at least in the morning whilst Angel recuperated Nicole finally broke the resistance of Ash meaning there's a good chance to get her recruited now, and she is going to be sorely needed.

The rest of the day passed with little else happening as people just ticked over with their usual tasks with Angel being out of action it's hurting my chances of surviving until winter much less through it. Never a dull moment in this run of Rimworld and I am only one season in! I genuinely don't think I've had a colony go this nuts this early before for a long long time. I get the feeling I am a bit rusty given I think I last played when the game was at.. Alpha 16 build or something? Ah well live and learn.. Or well.. Fail and learn in this case!

Angel recovering in bed, let's hope she makes it!


Day 17


Angel started off the day sleeping still and I was getting a bit worried she'd be bed-ridden for yet another day but she hauled her injured backside out of bed and set about her usual plethora of tasks. Nicole is really going crazy on the research so I think I am going to have to start reworking my work assignment priorities as it seems the only one who does more than one job a day is Angel so far.

She does at least manage to cook a handful of simple meals to stop my colonists from eating raw meat at least (though not before Syd helped herself to raw venison and got food poisoning despite their being berries to eat..) I swear I think my colonists are working against my best efforts to keep them alive at times.

Success! Nicole finally brought Ash around to the idea of joining the motley settlers of the Fox Republic. Then she.. Took off all her clothes and started working, I.. Don't even.. I think my colonists are mildly insane.. I better make her some clothes. Every silver lining has a cloud it seems!

Nicole was seemingly so pleased with herself she actually threw a party in the main room of the base. Don't eat too much people, we don't have a lot of food! Solar panels also finished researching meaning I won't have to rely entirely on fuel based electricity should the need arise, not a bad end to the day all said and done.

Party time... With Syd throwing up on the floor. Ick.


Day 18


New research project to start things off will be the recurve bow, at least that way I can arm Ash with a ranged weapon giving us a second hunter and arm any future colonists (optimism!) Angel throws herself into cooking with a fury putting the last of our meat stocks to use, it's also getting colder slowing down crop growth, oh boy. We are still going to need one massive harvest or two from all the plants to survive the winter, I don't recall how many meals people need per day but I am fairly sure it's two.

Poor Nicole however couldn't wait for Angel to finish cooking and entered a psychotic daze.. Not the worst thing in the world. Just have to hope she snaps out of it quickly and that she doesn't wander off too far if she passes out. Luckily Ash is busily cutting down trees to help Syd extend our cold-storage area, only thing I really need to do now is hope that I can fill it before winter entombs us.

Also my new plan is to build a hydroponic greenhouse on a separate power grid using solar panels, it may be the only way this colony survives the winter at this stage. That early cold-snap has thrown every plan I initially had into disarray. So I lay down the plans for a greenhouse made of some of the slate bricks Syd has been making.

This Rimworld play-through has been quite the roller-coaster so far but things are tentatively looking up. Once the new greenhouse is up and running I am hoping it'll get me enough food to supplement the first and seemingly only harvest I might get. As that would maybe get me through winter but we'll have to see in the next part!

The plans are laid down for the hydroponic greenhouse and it's solar-panels and batteries.


If you missed part 5, find it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...