Tuesday 29 May 2018

World of Tanks - My Thoughts on the SU-101




Since the Frontline mode has been running I have like most been playing a lot of my tier 8 tanks. The SU-101 is often what I have as my first choice running and moved it up from being moderately upgraded to fully upgraded pretty quickly. Honestly since this line was changed I've had mixed feelings on it given my initial draw to the line was their agility, making it hard for mediums and lights to flank. Rather than just rambling on for several paragraphs I'll organise this a bit more than my usual off the top of the head posts.

Firepower and View Range


There is no denying that the top gun is a massive improvement over all three of it's other guns, though I did enjoy using the 100mm D-54S as it's fast reload often took people by surprise. It's top gun however the 122mm M62-C2 I have some mixed feelings on, the penetration, rate of fire and damage per shot and reasonable aiming time for it's calibre make for a potent package let down by only two major flaws.

First is the lack of gun depression but this far into the line you are probably used to it but still it can get frustrating at times to find a suitable firing position. The gun isn't terribly flexible in it's mounting either but that is to be expected for a rear mounted gun.The second of the flaws is the low accuracy, now maybe it's just me but it feels wildly inconsistent, hitting the edges of the crosshair more than most guns. On more than one occasion I've had shots bury themselves into the ground or veer off to one side and merely track a target that would have been knocked out. On the flip side I've had partially aimed shots at 200 meters or more hit a commanders cupola, so, like I said, feels inconsistent.

The view range is a bit low for even a tank destroyer sitting at a base range of 350m, however as most of the time you'll be supporting your team rather than running off solo I've never found it a massive issue unless I am the only one left alive.

Other than that I think firepower wise the tank is very potent and not something you want to be in the crosshairs of.

Armour and Durability


The armour on the SU-101 is a bit of a mixed bag, it's fairly thick and very well sloped with a good gun mantlet but is riddled with weak-spots. At medium to long ranges a lot of tanks will lack the accuracy to hit the weakpoints front on so this is very much a 'front toward the enemy' tank destroyer.

The sides and rear as you'd expect compared to the front are paper thin by comparison and with it's slow turning speed getting around the sides of this thing is usually the end of you. Honestly this is why I tend to hang back rather than charge in with this despite it's blistering speed, keep it at range and waggle after firing and you'll likely bounce all but the highest calibre guns. 

Hitpoints wise for a tier 8 tank destroyer it's fairly middle of the road at 1100hp, it can take a few hits but it can't take the same kind of beating that an AT 15 or Ferdinand can.

I have however noticed that people really really really love firing premium ammo at this thing, like a lot. 

Mobility and Concealment


The mobility is another mixed bag much like the armour is, it has good acceleration and a top speed which allows it to keep up with all but the faster mediums but has one serious downside.

It turns like like a concrete block on stilts, with it's top suspension it's base turning speed is only 25 degrees a second. Now I know that is fairly middle of the road but it's basically only 1 degree a second faster than a US T28 which likely feels a lot slower than it is due to the lack of movement range on the gun. 

Basically try and stay reasonably far back and try to retreat if things turn south, even if a medium or light doesn't track you they will very easily get around you and feast on that squishy side and rear armour. 

Concealment wise it's one of the sneakiest of the tier 8 tank destroyers and when not moving or rotating it's unlikely anyone will spot you before you fire. The lack of any seriously flexible gun movement hampers concealment somewhat I find as you constantly have to adjust to rotate to keep the gun on target often breaking your camo in the first place.

Mobility wise it's fast if a bit sluggish in the turn, so don't try brawling with mediums as any half-way competent medium driver will tear you a new one.

Concealment wise it's good but a little tricky to make the most of.

My Current Set-up and Final Thoughts


I am not saying this is the best or worst equipment set-up but it is what I felt suited the tank best:
  • Vents
  • Gun Rammer
  • Gun Laying Drive.
I felt it best to maximise the firepower and it's working pretty well so far, you could also make use of the camouflage net and binoculars but I find I rarely stay stationary for long enough to get full use out of them.

My crew skills are currently as follows:
  • Commander: Sixth Sense - Brothers in Arms.
  • Gunner: Camouflage - Brothers in Arms.
  • Driver: Camouflage - Brothers in Arms.
  • Loader: Camouflage - Brothers in Arms.
Overall I think it's a good if flawed tier 8 tank destroyer, if you can handle it's quirks and weaknesses it's very good at what it does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...