Wednesday 9 May 2018

World of Tanks - My Thoughts on the New Frontline Mode




So World of Tanks recently got a new game mode (available only at peak times) called Frontline. I got the chance to play a few games of it last night with friends so I figured I'd post my thoughts on it so far!

Large scale battles have been something I think Wargaming have wanted to add for a while now but I can count on one hand the amount of Grand Battles I have taken part in. This was largely due to me rarely playing my one and only tier 10 tank (the Centurion AX) but I never really found them anymore fun than regular battles. 

Enter the new Frontline mode, 30 versus 30 spread across the largest map currently in World of Tanks. It's done quite cleverly with players choosing one of three lanes to spawn in with a tier 8 tank of their choosing (3 are provided free for use in Frontline so everyone can try it.) 

The attacking team has to push forwards through various capture points until reaching the far end of the map with objectives to destroy, the defending team obviously has to stop them from doing so.

There are other things present that aren't usually there in regular battles such as repair zones, artillery and airstrikes and more importantly, the ability to respawn.

Typically every 4-5 minutes you get another 'reinforcement' allowing you to choose to enter battle in another of your tier 8 tanks whilst any knocked out vehicle is repaired and thankfully, you only have to pay each repair once. So even if you play the same tank three times, you'll only pay for one repair.

The rewards feel worth the effort which was often my problem with the other game modes they experimented with in the past. It isn't without it's issues however, some of them aren't exclusive to the new mode however.

The framerate feels a lot more choppy likely due to the fact it's twice the number of tanks on a far larger map. Though I imagine when I upgrade my ageing rig it'll run a lot better but we'll see!

Also there really should have been some 'in-game' tutorial messages to guide people who didn't read the information screens about it. Even I didn't realise you could simply drive your tank into another of the three lanes to help until I actually tried it!

All in all I think it's a fun new mode that's far better and more accessible than grand battles and a far more coherent mode than past attempts. I do hope they add it in permanently and maybe even for other tiers too. A tier 5 or 6 version would go down very well with me and the people I play with as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...