Thursday 19 April 2018

Old Games I Still Love: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos




Honestly I have a lot of old favourite games, games that pushed me toward different genres or whose story stuck with me for years afterward. This game definitely is the latter, the story and characters are in my opinion exceptional for this RTS.

The graphics and CGI cut-scenes hold up reasonably well to modern standards, largely due to it's colourful and cartoony art style. However I feel it's soundtrack is still exceptional something I still listen to to this day.

It was also one of the first games I really remember doing 'in-engine' cut-scenes or at least doing them well.

Compared to Blizzard's other RTS the sci-fi themed Starcraft, Warcraft 3 had much smaller unit counts but I personally found the battles no less epic (just much easier to handle!) The addition of hero units also gave it an RPG like feel as you leveled them up and scoured the map for shiny loot.

All in all, this was the game that ensured I was chomping at the bit at the announcement of World of Warcraft. The idea or roaming around at ground level in a strategy game I loved was something I couldn't pass up and it was one of the first games I actually pre-ordered (I still have the original box and manual too!)

Also a shameless self plug here but a link to my new and on-going let's play of Warcraft 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...