Wednesday 20 February 2019

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 1 - It Begins


"In a word the Fox Cartel could be described as ruthless. If you had something they wanted they would take it from you one way or another. Kings, armies, governments all fell to the cartel as the cartel at least was more organised, united in it's purpose and a lot more powerful than anyone else and they were not bound by rules or morality. So now they reach for the stars and you better hope you don't have something they want."

Stardate: 01-01-2200

This has been a long time coming but here it finally is, the Stellaris written let's play! So first things first before I even unpause the game, selecting my research goals to start us off. For physics research I select the Administrative AI, that +5% extra research speed will pay off in the long run the sooner I get it so it's an easy choice. Society research proves a trickier choice, do I go for faster population growth or more unity production? I opt for the unity with the Planetary Unification tech, maybe it'll offset that unity penalty I gave them during creation.

Engineering proves to be a bit of a meh selection of three choices, more engineering research, carrier operations and zero-g refineries. So I settle on zero-g refineries simply because I know I'll be building a lot of mining stations at the start. There are a few untapped resources in my home system, some energy, minerals and physics research so I set the constructor to start building those whilst the science ship I send off to scout the surrounding area.

The Beta Aquilae system is the first one just to our galactic north that I send the science ship to survey and they stumble across some precursor remnants in the form of the Yuht plus something strange in orbit of the star, so I set them to investigate. Realising there is a lot of galaxy for one science ship to cover I order a second one constructed, so a new Hephaestio class science ship soon rolls off the ship-yard assembly line captained by Marcus Nautius. Hopefully that should ensure we get a good picture of our surroundings sooner rather than later.

Precursor remnants from a race known as the Yuht were found on this lump of rock in the Beta Aquilae system.


It's at this stage we get to choose our first tradition, exciting! Expansion is tempting but of limited use to a Megacorp as we simply can't make ourselves too big too fast or the admin costs would grind us to a halt. So I opt for the discovery tradition, maybe it'll help speed along the early exploration stage of things for our curious Foxes.

The Ribblor system is now fully surveyed though it's a fairly disappointing patch of space, 2 energy credits and 6 minerals hardly being the treasure trove of wealth the Fox Cartel wants but I'll claim it anyway. The expansion begins! Kind of.

The science ship examining the strange container orbiting the star in Beta Aquilae I opt to not study it further as my scientists are too low level and I have more important things to do like finding planets to settle.

The population of our homeworld Vulpinus is growing and now they need jobs so I slap down an energy generator district for now. I tend to keep my homeworld balanced to at the start when it comes to districts

Whilst I know not much has happened so far, that is just the nature of early-game Stellaris but hopefully things will start picking up in later parts. Will we find ourselves at odds with aggressive neighbours? Will we find a race of peaceful space bunnies and nick all their carrots? Watch this space for more!

One new system claimed for the glory of the Fox Cartel, it won't be the last.


I am still figuring out a good length for these so any feedback is greatly appreciated, I won't be doing this like Rimworld though. Stellaris can oft have many game years of not much happening so restricting myself to one or two years at a time may not work. Do let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Play Stellaris: Part 42 - The End of the Cartel

"That I should live to see the end of the Cartel..." - Oligarch Septima Egnatius Stardate: 18-11-2466 To say it was a disa...